Toys and American Culture
An EncyclopediaBook - 2010
Tracing developments in toy making and marketing across the evolving landscape of the 20th century, this encyclopedia is a comprehensive reference guide to America's most popular playthings and the culture to which they belong.
* Nearly 200 alphabetically arranged entries document the historical and cultural significance of toys
* Cross-references and a listing of additional resources accompany each entry and encourage further investigation
* Photographs and illustrations gathered from public and private collections across the country depict the entire century of America at play
* A guide to related topics identifies the entries according to broader categories such as toys, designers, companies, museums, events, and organizations
* A resource guide provides information for contacting American toy companies, accessing national toy museums, and attending annual toy festivals, and offers many avenues for pursuing further information about toys and American culture including books, scholarly journals, audio recordings, films, and websites